Kristin and the kids have been out of town for about 10 days. Here are the things their absence has made me appreciate even more:
1. I miss kids running to hug me when I get home from work. Max usually drops whatever he's doing, runs to me, and screams "Daddy!" I miss that.
Aviva does not usually have the same organic reaction that Max has. She only really gets into the act after she sees Max doing it, and the reaction I give him. Her unnatural enthusiasm reminds me of Kristin and how hard it is for Kristin to fake emotions. Aviva can run to meet me all she wants, but she can't make herself smile from ear to ear like Max does.
But with Aviva, once she hugs me, she won't let me go. That's real. And I miss it.
2. I miss Leo smiling at me whenever he catches my eye. He may fuss from time to time, and he may be a bad sleeper, but at lest that kid knows how to smile.
3. I miss Max asking me a million times to play Batman with him. Not sure I miss playing Batman.
4. I miss their inability to focus when getting in the car. They must hate getting in the car, because they cannot get in the car without me asking at least 10 times each to get in their.
5. I miss hearing footsteps at night when Aviva comes running to our room to tell us she has to go potty.
6. I miss when, after Max has been asleep for a while, I'll invite Aviva to come hang out with mommy and daddy. How she jumps off her bed silently (knowing that if she wakes up Max it's all over!) and reaches for my hand. How she cuddles us on our bed and pretends to want to do whatever it is we're doing (usually watching Phil Dunfey do his best Abram Ellis impression).
7. I miss Max rolling his eyes. At practically everything I say.
8. I miss Max saying "yes ma'am" to get his sticker chart filled up. I miss not hearing Aviva say "yes ma'am."
9. I miss Max, Aviva and Leo's mommy. She's my best friend and I miss everything about her.