Friday, December 21, 2007

A Chicken and a Grape

A few posts ago KA requested a list of my meal rotation.  I should say however, that since Abram doesn't get home until 9:00, I only make about 3 meals a week.  The other nights are dinners I know I don't have to fight Max on - pasta with red sauce, turkey and cheese sandwiches, frozen pizza, mac-n-cheese, and hot dogs.  Don't judge me.  

Compiling this list made me think about one of my favorites gifts Shauri gave me.  She had a graphic designer at work put together a cookbook called Delsa's Delights.  At the beginning of each chapter she put a funny family story involving food.  One that was cracking me up today is about Kerry Ebert (Shawn's friend) and Jeneral Bruce (Travis's friend), both of whom spent an inordinate amount of time at our house.  I suppose that is why their story made it to the family stories.  

Anyway, Kerry had this stupid joke he would sometimes tell that went like this:
"What do a chicken and a grape have in common?" When the person finally gave up he'd say, "They're both purple except for the chicken." 

One day he asked Jeneral, "What do a chicken and a grape have in common?"  Jeneral paused and replied in all seriousness, "They bof juicy."

Now there's a genius who slipped through the cracks if I ever did see one. 

I put these in approximate order of how often I make them (a combination of easiness and tastiness).
  • Stacked Enchiladas
  • Fiesta Salad
  • Taco Soup
  • Lemon Alfredo Pasta w/ Asparagus
  • California Chicken marinade
  • Brown Sugar Pork Loin
  • Roast (I use leftovers for beef tacos)
  • Chicken Cordon Bleu
  • Paula Dean's Spaghetti Sauce
  • Chicken Cashew
  • Crock Pot Chicken Continental
  • Buschetta Chicken
  • Sundried Tomato Artichoke Pasta
  • Barbeque Spareribs
  • Flank Steak Marinade
  • Chicken Florentine (or as Abram lovingly refers to it, Amy's Delight)
  • Southwestern Chicken Pockets and Black Bean Salsa
  • BBQ Chicken Salad
  • Chinese Chicken Salad
  • Peanut Chicken Kabobs
  • BBQ Beef Brisket
  • Goat Cheese Chicken Breasts
  • Chicken Pot Pie
  • Honey Chicken
  • Beef Brocolli
  • Chili
  • Butternut Squash Soup
  • Beef Stroganoff


9 comments:

KA said...

I have special appreciation for all geniuses who slipped through the cracks.

I am overwhelmed with joy at the list. When I am not racing to get all ready for Christmas, I will peruse carefully and request recipes.

As always, you're the most precious of all gems.

emandteem said...

Are these all from delsa's recipes

Delsa said...

No, they are not Emily and I'm wondering why Kristin is holding out on the following, Lemon Alfredo Pasta with Asparagus, Brown Sugar Pork Loin, Sundried Tomato, Artichoke Pasta (or is that the one Abram use to make?) Peanut Chicken Kabobs, Honey Chicken, and Chinese Chicken Salad. I'm anxiously awaiting those recipes.
Dad and I just had a great laugh about the Kerry, Jeneral incident. You just have to love that guy.

Melanie said...

Are the recipes forthcoming? I am sure I don't need to emphasize how obsessed I am with new recipes...or just food in general. I know that is a lot of recipes to post so can I just email you maybe the top five (or ten) I want to try first? I can already tell you that based on that recipe list, your fam is definitely far more gourmet-fed than mine (even taking into consideration your other meal nights of "kid" food).

Owens D.C. said...

Okay now this has crossed my mind a few times and now it's completely appropriate to mention it, but you should seriously apply for the "The next Food Network Star," don't laugh. I think you have the passion for food needed, the fabulous beauty they want, and a jovial attitude that people can relate to. That is if you can squeeze that in with your schedule of being mom :) They are looking for new people right now...open enrollment!

Merry Christmas!

Rebecca said...

Man, I'm feeling like a slacker reading this...I'll try to get past it and be inspired:)

Kris said...

That is a priceless Quinn story that I've never heard before.

Wow Kristin...I'm impressed. Whenever you're inspired to type these recipes up, I'll anxiously be awaiting a copy. You've officially made me hungry. ( :

BRIAN said...

Kristin, I am glad you stalked us down. And I am so glad you are blogging so that we can catch up with you and your family. But before you think it's all rosy at our house between Jacob & Merry, that's just the blog version of their relationship. By the way, Beth wants to know more about the stacked enchiladas.

sterlingandbrandi said...

KQ I am so impressed. I am also a stay at home mom, but of just one Lily and I sleep until noon everyday and order take-out. And you would be fantastic on the food network. Don't be selfish with your fabulousness.