Sunday, July 20, 2008

Camp Blodgett

For those of you who have known me for more than 10 years, this title surely brings back memories of me spontaneously exclaiming "I LOVE Camp Blodgett!"  

I really do.  Even after all these years.  That's why I was so excited to go see former camp counselor Bryan Griffith's booth at the Ann Arbor Art Fair this weekend.  Abram and I invited him and his wife Tasha over for Sunday dinner and I'm so glad that we did.  We caught up on each other's lives (their's is considerably more adventurous than ours) and reminisced a little about how much cooler Bryan's workshops were than the rest of ours.  We talked about crazy kids (because there were definitely some crazy kids) and crazy counselors (who shall remain nameless) and good times in general.  

This inspired me to write up a list of ten (okay, 12) of my favorite Camp Blodgett memories, in no particular order:
  1.  Eating rocky road ice cream with peanut butter and pretzels late at night while we talk about what funny things the kids said that day
  2. Playing capture the counselor.  Shauri and I hid together in a space that was much too small for both of us.  An eight year old kid asked Shauri, "You stuck?"  When she replied in the affirmative he whispered to his friend, "Smack her booty!"  
  3. The weekend off when the whole staff came down to Ann Arbor and stayed the weekend at our house.  
  4. Katy, Melanie, Chiara and Shauri
  5. Year two, session four, the best oldest girls cabin ever.
  6. Watching Andre and Jerry's step workshop performance
  7. Getting up to perform in the talent show with Shauri to deafening cheers.  By the time we were finished there was just silence.  Except for Andre's whisper, "Don't ever do that again."
  8. Singing The Water is Wide
  9. Night off
  10. The rush of pulling off a good prank 
  11. "I'm fightin' for my life here!"
  12. That Nik loves Mama Quinn

2 comments:

Delsa said...

Oh my, that even brought back some great memories to me. Who all do you keep in touch with and I'd love to know how and what everyone is doing.

xóchitl said...

ahhhh, i LOVE bryan! he made the best food for us during our orientation week before camp. it was good eatin until the real cook came.
i have great memories of the songs. my girls know a lot of them, although with my failing memory, i'm not so sure all the words are the same anymore.
too many other crazy memories to name but i do miss snug harbor pumpkin bread (mmmm) and going to meijer's on our night off. hilarious.
and you didn't mention the knickersons...